Blogger Widgets

Friday 9 November 2012

From WordPress to Blogger


I know this subject is not really related to Marketing. But since I am in the process of migrating my blog from WordPress to Blogger, I may as well write about it.

Step by Step Migration Guide

Step 1: Export Blog from WordPress
Log in WordPress
Go to My Blog > Dashboard
Go to Comments > Spam. Delete the spam messages. They may be migrated to your Blogger Blog with altogether
Go to Tools > Export. Click on “Export” Link
Select “All Content” to export (if your content is less than 1Mb) to your computer.

Step 2: Convert WordPress files to Blogger
Proceed to WordPress2Blogger
Browse to select WordPress files exported to your computer previously
Click “Convert”
Save converted file onto your computer

Step 3: Import files to Blogger
Log in Blogger
Add New Blog. Key in Title, preferred URL (xxxxx.blogspot.com), select a template (which can be changed later), then click “Create Blog!”
Go into the blog, then Settings > Others
Click the “Import Blog” Link.
Select the converted file on your computer, key in captcha code
Uncheck “Automatically publish all imported post” box. I’ll tell you why later
Click “Import Blog”

Done!

Sounds easy? Yes, I thought so too…

Ok, maybe many out there have tried are successful. But I am the unlucky one who didn’t manage to get my blog imported successfully.

The lucky thing is I did not choose to “Automatically publish all imported post”. Because everything is in a mess!

What I lost during migrate?

-          Pages
-          Post Titles
-          Post Alignments
-          Comments
-          Categories
-          Tags (I supposed, as they ended up at the labels section)

Yes, I gave up trying to recover what was lost except from the post. So…I ended up re-correcting my posts for the whole night. Lucky I don’t have much.

For those who wish to migrate from WordPress to Blogger, think twice. Do not delete you WordPress blog until the stuff you wanted (compromise on losing some or whatsoever depending on individual) is safely transferred to Blogger.

Another thing I realized, About.Me widget is only available on WordPress. And if you are used to posting curated articles via Scoop it, it does not support sharing to Blogger for the moment. So now I decided to keep both my WordPress and Blogger for different usage.

One thing we have to remember, WordPress and Blogger work differently. So less expectation may make you feel better.

Good Luck if you want to try. Well, you may not be the unlucky one like me… ~~fingers crossed….

1 comment:

  1. Hi, thank you for this post. I tried this and the wordpress2blogger link says, "Over Quota

    This application is temporarily over its serving quota. Please try again later." I've been trying this for about a week, no luck, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete